Definition of Complainant
- A consumer as defined under clause (15) of Section 2 of the Act; or
- An applicant for a new electricity connection; or
- In case of death of a consumer, his legal heir(s) or authorized representative; or
- Any other person claiming through or authorized by or acting as agent for the consumer and affected by the services or distribution business carried out by the distribution licensee.
Filing of representation before the Ombudsman
(1). Any complainant, aggrieved by the non-redressal of his grievance by the Forum may himself or through his authorized representative make a representation to the Ombudsman within one (1) month from the date of receipt of the order of the Forum in the format approved by the Commission:
- Provided that the Ombudsman may entertain a representation beyond one (1) month on sufficient cause being shown by the person filing the representation that he had sufficient reasons for not filing the representation within the aforesaid period of one (1) month.
(2). The Distribution Licensee and the Ombudsman shall, in its website, upload the format as specified by the Commission.
(3). The Ombudsman shall not entertain a representation:
- (i)unless the complainant has submitted the representation to the Ombudsman in the specified format;
- (ii)unless it has been shown to the Ombudsman that (a) the Forum has not redressed the grievance, or (b) the Forum has not passed an order on the grievance for its redressal within a maximum period of two (2)months from the date of receipt of the grievance by the Forum: Provided that a complainant may approach the Ombudsman directly in cases where the Commission has directed him to do so.
- (iii)unless the representation against an order of the Forum was made within the period set out in these Regulations;
- (iv)unless the Ombudsman is satisfied that the representation is not in respect of the same subject matter that has already been settled by the complainant;
- (v)where the representation by the complainant, in respect of the same grievance, is pending in any proceedings before any court, tribunal or arbitrator or any other authority, or a decree or award or a final order has already been passed by any such court, tribunal, arbitrator or authority;
- (vi)unless the complainant has deposited in the stipulated manner, an amount equal to one-third of the amount, that is required to be paid by him in terms of the order of the Forum with the licensee through DD or through modes as specified by the Commission from time to time and documentary evidence of such deposit is enclosed with the representation.